Lisa E. McKnight, P.C. Lisa E. McKnight, P.C.
contact today for a confidential consultation
Phone: 214-528-4191 Toll Free: 866-586-5149
speak with an experienced attorney

September 2014 Archives

How are noncustodial parents treated in Texas?

Divorced parents in Texas may benefit from learning more about the rights afforded to noncustodial parents. The state's Office of the Attorney General provides a handbook that is designed to inform noncustodial parents about establishing paternity and assessing child support services. The guide was developed on the belief that the child's quality life is best when both parents provide love and support.

The Standard Possesion Order in Texas

Under Texas law, a person who has the rights to a child is known as conservator, and this designation may be categorized in two different ways. A person may be appointed a managing conservator or a possessory conservator by the courts. Generally, parents are presumed to be joint managing conservators, but the designations might change if a judge deems it necessary.

Guidelines determine child support payments

Texas courts use a mathematical formula to determine the child support amount that a non-custodial parent is required to pay monthly. The calculations are based on that parent's net income, which includes wages in addition to self-employment income, royalties and even workers' compensation payments. The state does not consider welfare payments to be part of the parent's net income, and certain expenses, such as income tax, are deducted from the parent's resources prior to child support calculations.

Obtaining a restraining order in Texas

Texas law recognizes the need that some people have to protect themselves from the persistent hazards generated by certain dangerous or erratic individuals, especially in cases of domestic abuse. There are two types of protective orders, or restraining orders, available in Texas. Someone who feels threatened by another person may petition the court for the imposition of an order to prevent the other individual from contacting them, modify their child custody arrangements when applicable and suspend the other person's right to carry deadly weapons.