1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. Firm News
  4.  » Locating a non-custodial parent for child support enforcement

Locating a non-custodial parent for child support enforcement

On Behalf of | Dec 27, 2016 | Firm News

For many single parents in Texas, it can be difficult to make ends meet. For the most part, custodial parents are entitled to receive regular child support payments from their child’s other parent pursuant to a court order. In some cases, the non-custodial parent must be located so that the child support order is effective. This can pose a problem, however, especially when non-custodial parents are purposely trying to avoid their financial obligations.

Fortunately, there are several routes custodial parents can take in order to locate their former spouse for the purposes of child support enforcement. The first step of the location process is to collect personal information about the non-custodial parent. Useful identifying information includes the parent’s Social Security number and birth date, as well as a list of former or current employers and family members. Custodial parents may also choose to utilize the Federal Parent Locator Service, which collects data on non-custodial parents.

Some non-custodial parents, in an attempt to avoid paying child support, will take on odd jobs where they are paid under the table in cash. By securing non-traditional employment, an individual can avoid wage garnishment, which can occur when a child support order is enforced and then neglected. Other individuals may move out of the state where their child resides, further complicating the child support enforcement process.

Child support enforcement typically occurs at the state level. Single parents with questions about enforcing an existing order following a divorce or separation or about putting a support order in place may benefit from the assistance of a family law attorney.