1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. Child Custody & Visitation
  4.  » Child Custody Modifications

Texas Child Custody Modification

Life situations change more rapidly than ever. In a fragile economy, jobs are lost and incomes significantly reduced. New work opportunities may provide increased household income while also requiring relocation to a different city or even a different state.

Texas courts are reluctant to make a change of custody without sufficient cause. However, the courts will allow you to seek a modification to an original custody decree if there is a significant and unforeseen change in circumstances.

Whether you are petitioning the court for a custody modification or attempting to block a former spouse’s request for a custody modification, it is important to have an experienced family law attorney who can provide dependable legal representation. At the law firm of Lisa E. McKnight, P.C., in Dallas, Texas, we represent clients in post-divorce modification matters, which primarily focus on child support, child custody and visitation, and spousal support.

Modifying A Custody Order

Potential grounds for a change of custody may include physical abuse, sexual abuse, neglect, drug dependency by a parent, alcohol dependency that causes a parent to be unfit, and other parenting issues that may result in physical or emotional damage to a child. The court will consider the welfare of the child and the proposed grounds for a change of custody.

If circumstances have changed, rendering a previous visitation agreement unmanageable or no longer in the best interests of the child, you may need to file a motion for modification of visitation.

In instances where both parents agree to a modification to an existing custody or visitation agreement, it is critical to work with an experienced family law lawyer and obtain court approval in order to avoid future complications or disputes.

We have extensive experience in child custody and visitation modifications. If you need to speak with an attorney about filing or opposing a motion for change of custody or visitation, contact us at 214-306-7588 or use our online contact form to schedule a consultation.