Texas Board-Certified Family Law Specialist*
When couples decide to blend their families through remarriage in Texas, they are sometimes surprised that the marriage, itself, is not enough to grant both spouses parental rights over their stepchild. Without legal stepchild adoption, the biological parent (or parents) retains all parental rights.
If you are considering remarriage with children involved, or if you are already married and have decided to pursue a stepchild adoption, contact our law firm, Lisa E. McKnight, P.C., in Dallas. Attorney Lisa McKnight is a certified family law specialist by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization with extensive experience helping families with their custody and adoption matters pre- and post-marriage.
Why Stepchild Adoption?
There are many reasons why it is important to secure full parental rights through the legal stepchild adoption process.
- In the event the child’s non-custodial parent has a history of abuse, the child may have a positive feeling about eliminating any further parent-child relationship.
- When you adopt your step-child, you are making a public, legal demonstration that you intent to be a loving, committed parent.
- Adopting your step-child will give you the legal right to add him or her to your legal inheritance.
- If you and your spouse have biological children as a couple, adopting will put step-children on the same level of family status, to ease possible family rivalry or jealousy among children.
- The adoption process will require the child’s biological parent to forfeit all parental rights, giving you and your spouse the comfort of knowing that you retain sole legal rights to custody and decisions over the child’s well-being.
Dedicated Lawyer Who Is Ready To Help You With Your Stepchild Adoption
If you are considering the positives of adopting your stepchild, let us answer your questions. Call us at 214-306-7588 or toll free at 866-586-5149 to arrange a consultation with attorney Lisa McKnight. You can also send an email using our convenient email contact form to request a return call.
* Certified by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization in the area of family law